Table of Contents
My office this week in Fort Lauderdale
Closing out 2023 with a cold plunge
Can't Rock My Dream Face by Umphrey's McGee
These guys have a weird name. They say it was one of the band members' cousin's names. They formed in South Bend, Oregon as students at Notre Dame in 1997.
This song Can't Rock My Dream Face is a clever mashup of Michael Jackson's "Rock with You", "Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac, and "I Can't Feel My Face When I'm With You".
Wildfire by Watchhouse
I heard this song driving down the road yesterday. It sounded pretty.
Watchhouse a folk duo from Chapel Hill, NC.
The mindset to create our best works and expressions of self
We are not focused on an outcome.
It is a devotional practice.
Whatever happens after that is completely out of your control.
Suicides in the United States
We have the highest suicide rate since 1941.
50,000 Americans took their own lives in 2021, a 3% increase over the previous year.
The rate has risen 9% for people aged 55 to 64.
We are in the midst of a mental health crisis.
Dealing with Obstacles
Some good reminders here:
- The price you pay for being easygoing is not getting what you want.
- A silent form of self-sabotage: intensely focusing on other people.
- The level of confidence dictates the level of achievement.
- There will always be someone richer, better looking, funnier than you.
- Mediocre people who work loudly outperform great people who work quietly
- Everyone who started something had no clue how to do it at the beginning. But they figured it out by making mistakes.
- Whatever it is you truly want, do yourself a favor and ACTUALLY go for it.Go all in. So at least if it doesn't work out you can't say you didn't try.
Huberman's Morning Routine
Dr. Huberman suggests making this list each morning:
- 5 Gratitudes
- Plans for the Day
- Any Fears or Resentments
- Things to Watch Out For
- Things to Strive For
What happened to Portland, Oregon?
Yeah, what happened there?— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) December 27, 2023
I love Portland, but I have a difficult time processing the homeless situation there.
Next time I visit, I plan on documenting it.
I don't think people understand the severity of what's going on.
I'm loving the PJ Vogt podcast Search Engine lately.
I was a big fan of his old podcast, "Reply All" and just discovered Search Engine.
Basically he takes a simple question and then goes and investigates to find the answer.
Unlike a lot of podcasts (like Joe Rogan), PJ Vogt and his team spend a lot of time on the production, editing and storytelling of the episodes.
I find it inspiring.
Oprah and The Color Purple
I found this episode inspiring too.
Oprah tells the story of her experience making The Color Purple.
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.